AAA/CAA FIVE DIAMOND HOTELS AND RESTAURANTS 2013 FACT SHEET
Data provided Jan. 18, 2013 – Valid through Dec. 31, 2013
For complete lists of AAA/CAA Five Diamond hotels and restaurants and additional information about the AAA Diamond Rating System, visit NewsRoom.AAA.com.
Continuing a 77-year tradition, AAA’s professionally trained inspectors use published guidelines to conduct unannounced hotel and restaurant evaluations, assigning Approved establishments a rating of One to Five AAA Diamonds.
Properties identified by AAA as potential candidates for the Five Diamond Rating undergo multiple evaluations and a final decision by a panel of experts.
For 2013, 13 establishments (nine hotels and four restaurants) were newly added to the coveted Five Diamond Award® list; 10 hotels and four restaurants were removed.
- A total of 178 select establishments (125 hotels and 53 restaurants) throughout the U.S., Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean received the AAA/CAA Five Diamond Rating in the past 12 months, qualifying them for the 2013 Five Diamond Award® list.
- Five Diamond establishments represent just 0.3 percent of the current 59,000 AAA/CAA Approved and Diamond Rated establishments (30,000 hotels and 29,000 restaurants).
- Puerto Rico and Nevis attained their only Five Diamond establishments, both hotels: the St. Regis Bahia Beach Puerto Rico in Rio Grande, Puerto Rico, and the Four Seasons Resort Nevis in Charlestown, Nevis.
- With three additions each, New York and Florida gained the most new Five Diamond establishments.
- New York gained one hotel: the Trump SoHo New York, and two restaurants: Eleven Madison Park and Le Bernardin, all in New York City.
- Florida gained two hotels: the St. Regis Bal Harbour in Bal Harbour and the Ritz-Carlton, Amelia Island in Fernandina Beach, and one restaurant: Salt (in the Ritz-Carlton, Amelia Island).
- Only one hotel has maintained the Five Diamond Rating for 37 consecutive years, since 1976 when the Diamond Ratings were first introduced for hotels: The Broadmoor in Colorado Springs, Colo.
- Six additional hotels have maintained the Five Diamond Rating for 25 or more consecutive years: The American Club in Kohler, Wis.; Four Seasons Hotel Boston in Boston, Mass.; Four Seasons Hotel Philadelphia in Philadelphia, Pa.; The Ritz-Carlton, Buckhead in Atlanta, Ga.; The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel in Dana Point, Calif.; and The Ritz-Carlton, Naples, Fla.
- The restaurant with the longest Five Diamond tenure is The Inn at Little Washington Dining Room in Washington, Va., which has maintained the rating for 25 consecutive years, since 1988.
- Three additional restaurants have maintained the Five Diamond Rating for 20 or more consecutive years: The French Room in Dallas, Texas; La Mer (in the Halekulani) in Honolulu, Hawaii; and The White Barn Inn Restaurant (in The White Barn Inn & Spa) in Kennebunk Beach, Maine.
- States with the greatest number of Five Diamond hotels: California (20); Florida (13); Nevada (8); New York (8); Georgia (7); and Quintana Roo, Mexico (7).
- Cities with the greatest number of Five Diamond hotels: Las Vegas (8); New York (8); and Atlanta (5). Beverly Hills, Chicago and Scottsdale each have four Five Diamond hotels.
- States with the greatest number of Five Diamond restaurants: California (7), New York (7), Illinois (4); and Nevada (4).
- Cities with the greatest number of Five Diamond restaurants: New York (6), Chicago (4), Las Vegas (4); and Cancun, Mexico (3).
- States with the greatest number of Five Diamond establishments: California (27) – 20 hotels/7 restaurants; Florida (16) – 13 hotels/3 restaurants; New York (15) – 8 hotels/7 restaurants; Nevada (12) – 8 hotels/4 restaurants; Quintana Roo, Mexico (10) – 7 hotels/3 restaurants; and Illinois (8) – 4 hotels/4 restaurants.
ABOUT AAA/CAA DIAMOND RATINGS
AAA rates more properties than any other rating entity. It is the only rating system that covers the U.S., Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean and the only rating system that conducts professional, on-site evaluations using published guidelines weighted by member priorities.
Diamond Rated hotels and restaurants are listed in AAA trip planning products: the eTourBook® guides and AAA Mobile® app for tablets and smartphones, the TripTik® Travel Planner and Travel Guides on AAA.com, and AAA TourBook® guides available at AAA/CAA offices. Travelers can learn about AAA inspections and Diamond Ratings at AAA.com/Diamonds.